[asterisk-users] Source-IP on Asterisk DRBD/-HA-Cluster wrong

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Dec 3 20:09:44 CST 2009

Thorolf Godawa wrote:

> Unfortunately I think (and this is also my experience), a virtualized
> Asterisk server will not work on higher load and might loose
> UDP-VoIP-pakets what will result in a bad voice quality!

Much has been said of this topic.  In general, you are correct;  the
effects of mostly userspace scheduling on timing tolerance and system
responsiveness in a classical virtualisation scenario can lead to more
jitter and stochastic variance in packet forwarding, even if not
necessarily packet loss per se.

However, virtualisation technology is evolving in directions that make
it increasingly "natively" bound to the underlying hardware - i.e.
paravirtualisation.  Running Asterisk in a VZ-style VPS is very
different than running it in a Xen VM slice, for example, because in
the former case it is basically a glorified chroot jail;  there is a
shared underlying kernel and simulated process space isolation.  In
the latter, an actual virtual machine is run, although it is still
native-bound to some degree in that it is not a pure
userspace-scheduled process.

So, the answer is somewhat qualified;  it depends on what is meant by
"generalisation."

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal