[asterisk-users] Question about g729

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Dec 2 07:09:42 CST 2009

Alex Balashov wrote:
> My understanding is that Asterisk will not pass through calls in codecs
> for which it does not have support and/or licenses; it simply does not
> advertise them in the SDP negotiation.

'support' - yes, 'licenses' - no. Asterisk supports passthrough,
recording and playback of quite a few codecs for which there are no
transcoding modules available at all (G.723.1, H.263/4, etc). G.729
falls into this category if there is no transcoding module loaded, or if
there are no licenses available.

The only time that Asterisk will not offer G.729 in an outbound
negotiation is if the incoming channel is not in G.729 (so thus would
require transcoding) and there is no transcoding path available. The
same is true for other codecs that don't have transcoding available...
but by definition, this is not 'passthrough'.

Also, to clarify an earlier point, Digium makes all the standard
Asterisk prompt sets available in G.729 format, so the built-in
applications can be used on G.729 channels without requiring transcoding.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com