[asterisk-users] Clarifying RX and TX gains

cb cb at mythtech.net
Mon Aug 31 07:52:31 CDT 2009

I've done gain tuning as per the info I've found online. I've got my
RXGain set so my volumes list as about 14,800 (using a milliwatt test
number and ztmonitor -vv). However listening to the line now, this
sounds too loud to me. The person speaking sounds fine, but I've now
got a large amount of background hiss coming thru. In order to get the
"recommended" levels, most of my lines are in the range of +12.5, so
I'm wondering if I'm just exceeding the ability of my Sangoma card to
amplify the audio.

My TXGain's are all still at 0.0 as the Sangoma card didn't seem to
want to let me adjust the gains. My levels are listing in the 5,000
range, but it seemed no matter what I changed the values to, there was
virtually no difference made to the audio levels. Listening to the
transmit levels everything sounds fine.

What I am still getting is occasional static on the lines. Pops,
squeaks, that kind of stuff. Sounds exactly like a handset cord is
going bad, but it happens on any phone (and all have brand new handset
cords). The person on the far end says they hear nothing wrong with
the call. However, when I have asterisk record the call, the static is
present on the recording. I also get the occasional robotic voice
echoing back on anything said by the local person. That sounds like it
should be typical echo on the line (I'm using a Sangoma A400DE with
hardware echo cancellation). Everything I can find on echo and static
tells me I should adjust my RX and TX gains.

So that brings me to my confusion/clarification. I've got my RXGain
set to the "recommended" level, and my TXGain doesn't seem to be very
adjustable upwards as it would appear to need based on the recommended
levels. Could my static and echo be caused by my TXGain being too low,
or possibly RX or TX actually being too high (since listening to the
RX reveals lots of background hiss)?

I'm trying to work out this last little bit on my system as I'm
getting grief that these calls have audio issues. I'm running out of
things to check, so I'm looking for clarification on where exactly my
RX and TX gains should be and which directions they will impact static
and echo.

Thanks!

-chris
<www.mythtech.net>