[asterisk-users] I find this incomprehensible ?!

jonas kellens jonas.kellens at telenet.be
Sun Aug 30 13:54:48 CDT 2009

I am totally not understanding this :

My IAX.conf :
register => BOX-YOCAN:passwd at remote_asterisk_ip

On remote Asterisk :
*CLI> [Aug 30 20:37:07]     -- Registered IAX2
'BOX-YOCAN' (AUTHENTICATED) at ip:4569

So this is normal... Now the following :

[remoteasterisk]
type=peer
host=ip remote asterisk
auth=md5
secret=passwd

On the remote Asterisk :

[BOX-YOCAN]
type=user
host=dynamic
auth=md5
secret=passwd
context=from-BOX-YOCAN

Then when I make a call :
[Aug 30 20:37:33]     -- Accepting UNAUTHENTICATED call from
ip_box_yocan
[Aug 30 20:37:33]     -- Executing [XXXXXXXXXX at default:1]

So the call is unauthenticated and comes into the default [context].

Why is the call not authenticated when I specify the same password
'passwd' at both the Asterisk-servers ???

It gets even better when I remove the secret !!

On the remote Asterisk :

[BOX-YOCAN]
type=user
host=dynamic
auth=md5
; secret=passwd  (no password)
context=from-BOX-YOCAN

The when I make a call :
*CLI> [Aug 30 20:48:37]     -- Accepting UNAUTHENTICATED call from
ip_box_yocan:
[Aug 30 20:48:37]     -- Executing [XXXXXXXX at from-BOX-YOCAN:1]

So the call is onauthenticated, that I understand (there is a match on
username, but no correct secret), but then it does not go into the
default context !! Oh no, it goes into the context that is defined for
the incoming call from that user !

How comprehensible is this ?! And what do I need to do to have an
authenticated call from an authenticated registered user ??

Thanks for the help !

Jonas.