[asterisk-users] application order when you make a call

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Fri Aug 28 09:00:58 CDT 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, harry R wrote:

>> If you're using Asterisk to "bridge" an incoming call to a device (eg. a
>> SIP phone), then you just need
>>
>>   Dial(...
>>
>> No need to Answer (as that then starts to cost the caller money if calling
>> via the PSTN or some PSTN to VoIP bridge to get the call into your Asterik
>> box in the first place), and no need to provide Ringing() either as that
>> happens from the callers equipment until it's had the signal that the call
>> has been answered - which will happen when the device you're Dial()'ing
>> answers the call.
>>
>> You only want asterisk to Answer() the call if asterisk is then doing
>> something other than bridging the call to another device - voicemail,
>> queue, auto attendant, etc.
>>
>> And then, I'd suggest you make it obvious to the caller that the call has
>> been answered as it's then (potentially) costing them money... But ethics
>> vary here!
>
> Thanks gordon
>
> So when do I need to use Ringing() ?

No idea. I've never had a use for it...

Some unscrupulous (IMO) operators (in the UK) will answer a call then
present another ringing tone to the caller while their equipment then
places them in a call queue or forwards the call on, etc. They do this as
they're terminating a revenue generating number, so they want to answer
the call as soon as possible before putting you through to someone. I
imagine that's such a use for it.

Even then, there's a flag you can pass to Dial() to do the same as
Ringing() - but I suspect you'd need to Answer() the call first.

Gordon