[asterisk-users] Bad Gateway

Igor Hernandez emistz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 13:30:08 CDT 2009

Hey guys,

I've been having a very odd problem that happens intermittently. I've
had this happen with only a couple of providers and somewhat rarely but
its to the point now that we need to fix it to be able to do business.

The scenario is as follows: We have a DID provider that routes calls to
our asterisk boxes and we have an outbound provider to whom we send the
calls of the person dialing in to the DID. So person dials into the
asterisk server from a pstn number(DID) chooses where he wants to call
and the call is sent over the outbound provider to terminate. Usually
this works well without a glitch.

However, with trying to terminate to specific places we get "SIP 502 Bad
Gateway" when dialing in like the user would(through the pstn to our
asterisk box and then dialing out) but we connect just fine by using a
sip phone registered directly to the asterisk box.

Searching around all I could find is:
"The server, while acting as a gateway or proxy, received an invalid
   response from the downstream server it accessed in attempting to
   fulfill the request"
from the rfc.

Below is the current configuration for the peers. If anyone knows
anything about why this could be happening your help is very much
appreciated.

[DID_Provider]
type=peer
canreinvite=no