[asterisk-users] Youmail DropBox - Email interface to Youmail transcription service

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 14:54:44 CDT 2009

If you haven't heard, Youmail has recently created a drop-box email interface for their transcription service.  As of right now, it's free, but whether free or paid, this may be good news for those on this list who want to annex transcripion functionality to your current mix of voicemail offerings.

For example:
We (like many) use Asterisk to integrate the voicemail of mobile, legacy PBX, and 'normal' Asterisk mailboxes to create a unified messaging interface.  DropBox will allow us to tack on a transcription function with trivial effort.  Before the DropBox interface you'd have needed to kludge up something like a drill-down bot to play the message to the youmail service in baseband audio.

Imagine the efficiency of doing something like this:
Re-relay [sic] the youmail transcription with the addtion of a special single-use URL (or even special Phone number), which, when visited by the subscriber (or momentarily called with the CallerID of the subscriber) would trigger a change to the status of that message back at the Asterisk mothership.  In this way, the end user (if satisfied with the transcription) could opt out of the need to manually visit the audio interface of their voicmail box for a properly transcribed message.

We've been impressed with the performance of youmail within the silo of it's normal customer-facing UI, but we have not yet had a chance to test drive DropBox as integrated with Asterisk.  We plan to do so shortly after we put out a few fires and free up some creative bandwidth.

Youmail on geting started with DropBox (FAQ):
http://www.youmail.com/help/view/faq_dropoff_start

-Karl