[asterisk-users] Multiple user registration ...

Mauro Sergio Ferreira Brasil mauro.brasil at tqi.com.br
Wed Aug 26 11:18:48 CDT 2009

Hi Elliot, and thanks for the reply.

I'm not completely sure you've considered that the SIP users registered
on all devices are the same.
Have you ?

I mean...
How will I use "Dial" command with a sequence of same devices, like:
Dial(SIP/101&SIP/101&SIP/101), for example ?

That's why we are testing the possibility to create "virtual" devices on
subsequent registrations, so we can at the end make something like:
Dial(SIP/101&SIP/101-001&SIP/101-002) if someone dials to SIP/101.
Note: SIP/101-001 and SIP/101-002 don't really exist. They will be
provided by our ARA driver to allow the multiple device ringing.

Thanks and best regards,
Mauro.

Elliot Otchet escreveu:
> Is your goal here to have multiple devices ring when an extension is dialed and the first one to answer take the call?
>
> If so, see the Dial command Dial(Technology/resource&Technology/resource&Technology/resource...[|timeout][|options][|URL]).  When multiple technology/resource entries are listed, the first one to answer will take the call.  That accomplishes your goal, if I understand you correctly.
>
> The nice part about doing it this way (with each device independently registered) is that you gain a substantial amount of granularity in controlling where calls go and you don't have to find creative ways (read: unsupported) to trick Asterisk or endpoints.
>
> If you're developing your own GUI to have people set up their devices, you can easily create a wizard that walks them through setting up each device and associating them together through either channel variables or other tables in a database.
>
> I use this methodology in 1.4 and it works quite reliably.  For a good reference, check out http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+cmd+Dial or from your Asterisk console try: 'core show application dial<enter>'
>
> It's not perfect because you can have devices that do funny things with a SIP INVITE, but in most cases it works very well.
>
> Regards,
>
> Elliot

__At.,
   _

*Technology and Quality on Information*
Mauro Sérgio Ferreira Brasil
Coordenador de Projetos e Analista de Sistemas
+ mauro.brasil at tqi.com.br <mailto:@tqi.com.br>
: www.tqi.com.br <http://www.tqi.com.br>
( + 55 (34)3291-1700
( + 55 (34)9971-2572