[asterisk-users] Breaking news, but what happened? 11.000 channels on one server

Peder peder at networkoblivion.com
Wed Aug 26 10:35:06 CDT 2009

You are thinking IP (layer3), not mac address (layer2 - ethernet switching).
Bonding is general a poor choice of wording for multiple Ethernet
connections as an individual connection won't use both links.  The way most
NIC's and switches do bonding is that they hash the source and destination
mac address and odd packets go over one link and even packets go over the
other (assuming two links).  So if there are two machines talking, they will
flood one link and the other will be empty.  If there are 100 machines
talking to one machine, then it will be fairly even balancing.  If the PBX
is behind a router or firewall, then it will see all external IPs as one mac
(the router or firewall), so you again will get one link saturated and one
empty.  Your best bet is 10G if you can afford it.

On a side note, why do people buy high-end servers like IBM or HP and then
put in crappy switches, like Dell or Netgear and then wonder why performance
is bad?  That's like buying a BMW 7 series and then using the cheapest 87
octane gas you can find.  If you want to build a good network, buy good
network equipment like Cisco, Extreme, Foundry or some of the other high end
manufacturers.  DLink, Linksys, Netgear and Dell are all low end consumer
grade.  No matter how they may try and sell it, that's what it is.  It is
fine for that, but it is not enterprise grade equipment.  I just ran across
a customer that had a Cisco Catalyst 4000 with an uptime of 1500 days (4+
years).  Try and get that with Linksys or Netgear.