[asterisk-users] Echo

Dave Fullerton dfullertasterisk at shorelinecontainer.com
Wed Aug 26 08:19:33 CDT 2009

Jason Baker wrote:
>> > Echo Cancellation: 128 taps unless TDM bridged, currently ON
>> >
>> > The "currently ON" is telling you that the echo canceller is active.
>> >
>> > You could try changing echotraining to no in chan_dahdi.conf as well.
>> >
>> > What were you running before you upgraded?
>> So, Asterisk doesn't start echo canceling a line until it is in use? I thought
>> that might be the case.
>>
>> I was running Zaptel before this, not sure what version. I upgrade to Dahdi. The
>> echo was present in Zaptel, but not as bad.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with hardware echo cancel modules? Are they
>> better/worse than software? What would be the best solution to remove echo?

No, asterisk does not start echo canceling on a channel until the
channel is brought up.

I have two sites with hardware echo cancellers. One Digium on a TE220B
and one on a Sangoma A200. I use OLSEC (software) on my home system.
 From my experience, I would say the hardware solutions work the best,
though OSLEC is very good.

I'm no echo expert, but if you are hearing your own voice echoed back to
you on calls the first thing I would check is your txgain settings.
There's plenty of info on voip-info.org to help you with that.

-Dave