[asterisk-users] Asterisk Autodialer

Raimund Sacherer rs at runsolutions.com
Wed Aug 26 04:03:31 CDT 2009

On Aug 26, 2009, at 10:40 AM, Steve Totaro wrote:

> One of the last things you want to do as the guy who handles the
> system is do a full reboot when Asterisk becomes completely
> unresponsive, you have hundreds of agents sitting idle and even more
> customers calling in.
Amen brother!

<rantmode>
This CAN fireback to you a solution provider, big time! Let's face it,
people are accustomed to nearly 99.99% uptime with telephony, I do not
understand why asterisk was not designed from day one with this in mind.

Because you CAN design the system that if you have more asterisk
instances you do not loose existing calls if an asterisk box goes
down, you could loose

* Calls currently being setup
* Monitored call files (due to possible corruption on crash)
* some seconds in the voice stream (i think loosing a bit of voice and
having to possibility to say: repeat again weights more than to setup
the call again)

I knew it is possible out of experience in development, but way more
because e.g. sipfoundry has a pbx which can do this quite fine, but of
course it is way less flexible then asterisk.

Currently i am very excited about freeSWITCH, which seems very
promising in this regard, After reading the philosophy behind
freeSWITCH from their lead-developer (a long-time asterisk developer)
i am convinced that, at least for me, freeSWITCH will be more the way
to go in the future.
</rantmode>

ah, so, i am feeling better, a little steam off :-)

> Fun times at the next meeting with management!  Monetize your
> downtime and the AMI can be very expensive.

Yeah, it really is not that pleasant at all :-)

best

--
Raimund Sacherer
-

Parc Bit - Centro Empresarial Son Espanyol
Edificio Estel - Local 3D
07121 -  Palma de Mallorca
Baleares