[asterisk-users] How to detect if the call is being answered by Voice Mail?

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Tue Aug 25 15:48:27 CDT 2009

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, Bharath B. Reddy Bynagari wrote:

> I am pretty new to Asterisk. I am trying to make sure some human being
> answers the phone not the voice mail machine. How can I programmatically
> identify that?

The "best" way is to ask the caller to press a key to continue. Most
answering machines have difficulty with this.

There are various "answering machine detection" schemes about. Google for
Justin Newman and answering machine detection. He's put out some pretty
cool tools in the past.

--
Thanks in advance,