[asterisk-users] Linux from asterisk

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Tue Aug 25 11:03:10 CDT 2009

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, Alex Balashov wrote:

> There is only one Linux.  You must be referring to Linux distributions,
> which are a way of packaging Linux with other software, utilities,
> package management, administrative tools, etc.
>
> In that case, practically any modern distribution will do.  Asterisk is
> run on Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, Fedora, RHEL, SuSE, and many more.

Of these, CentOS is probably the most popular because it was chosen by the
developers of Asterisk At Home (which became Trixbox) and PBX In A Flash.
Thus, it was an easy entry for a[n Internet] generation of hobbyists and
professionals.

These "all-in-one" distributions, along with a couple of "read-throughs"
of "Asterisk: The Future of Telephony*" will get you well on your way in
understanding what Asterisk is and what it can do.

While these "all-in-ones" can serve the complete needs of a lot of users,
I find GUIs limiting and impede truly understanding how to configure
Asterisk from the command line.

*) Help support the "cause" by purchasing a book or google for a free
download.

--
Thanks in advance,