[asterisk-users] IPKall and FWD

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Aug 20 15:33:09 CDT 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, David @ULC wrote:

> *Gordon Henderson  , what if someone is NOT having* Static IP ?

Well, a valid point.

A lot will depend on just how dynaic the IP address is. If it rarely
changes (typical of cable in the UK), then you just treat it as static.
Use dyndns, etc. just in-case it changes, but when I had cable 8 years
back it never changed for the 8 months or so I had it.

If it changes on a router reboot - typical of some ADSL services, then you
may be able to use dyndns, etc., but you'll need to get your new IP
address back into your asterisk box to use in sip.conf/externip= ...

If your ISP changes it on a whim, get a new ISP.

Alternatively, get a SIP account with a proper ITSP and have then register
a number for you, then you just connect to them via SIP rather than have
them rely on connecting to you.

Gordon