[asterisk-users] Cannot play soundfile, doesnt find it or wrong format? Weird, worked yesterday! :-)

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Thu Aug 20 11:50:09 CDT 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Johan Sandgren wrote:

> Advice taken!  Ok I'll use gsm/8kHz instead, I sure want to save CPU!

Please don't unless you understand the implications.

If your goal is to reduce transcoding (converting from one encoding to
another), you want to have your sound files in the same encoding as your
channels.

If you are only using GSM, then you would want your sound files (including
all of the standard Asterisk prompts) in GSM.

If you are only using ULAW (like me), then encoding to GSM means Asterisk
will have to transcode every file every time it is played.

If you are using a mix of encodings, say ULAW for internal calls and GSM
for external calls, you would want to have your sound files (again,
including all of the standard Asterisk prompts) in both ULAW and GSM
encodings.

--
Thanks in advance,