[asterisk-users] Skype for Asterisk???

Terry Wilson twilson at digium.com
Thu Aug 20 08:38:07 CDT 2009

On Aug 20, 2009, at 3:41 AM, Remco Barendse wrote:
> I never used Skype myself but i installed it to try and i noticed
> that i
> got added by lots of strange skype users (spam bots?), i guess some of
> those were trying some funny stuff on my skype for asterisk account. I
> want to use Skype for Asterisk only for incoming calls at this time.

There is a direction=incoming option to limit Skype to inbound calls
only (per-user).  You can also set auth_policy to deny, block, or
require a pssword so that your contact details are released to only
those people that you want.

http://www.asterisk.org/developers/bug-guidelines

> I am running Asterisk 1.4.26.1 with the latest FreePBX and Skype for
> Asterisk is the only add-on. I did *not* enable the G.729 codec in the
> config neither did i try to install the G.729 codec license that comes
> with Skype for Asterisk (nowhere it said that the G.729 is required
> for
> correct operation of Skype and i don't care about the bandwidth at
> this
> time).

The README file that ships with Skype for Asterisk states:

Beta licenses will not be recognized by the G.729 module and therefore
Beta users will need to obtain a separate license for the G.729 codec
to guarantee that they can process the audio for SkypeIn and SkypeOut
calls.

> The core dumps i can just delete, they are useless?

After filing a bug report with a backtrace from them posted.  See doc/
backtrace.txt in an Asterisk distribution or http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/branches/1.4/doc/backtrace.txt
  for information on how to create one.