[asterisk-users] * 1.4 -> 1.6, zaptel -> dahdi

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Wed Aug 19 16:27:29 CDT 2009

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Greg Woods wrote:

> When the developers want to convert the config language, sooner or later
> they will stop supporting the old stuff and it won't be possible to get
> the newest supported features without converting. So I don't want to
> fall TOO far behind.

I don't see that happening in my lifetime :)

While extensions.conf sucks, I've used AEL enough to know it's basically a
hack that usually works. In 1.2 inconsistencies abound and error checking
is a joke. A misplaced semi-colon can cause large chunks of your dialplan
to disappear without warning. Lua is supposed to be better so maybe your
energies would be better focused there instead of AEL.

> I'd rather convert now when I can do it in a leisurely manner, before I
> absolutely HAVE to.

This appears to be somewhat inconsistent in your determination to update
to 1.6. Are packages for 1.4 available for F11?

>> I don't like being dependent on others for my mission critical stuff.

> Unless you are one of the developers, you're still dependent on others
> to maintain the source.

I'm not saying I could fix a security issue, but I can download, compile,
and install long before anybody could "package" it for me.

> And in my case, nothing on my home server could really be described as
> "mission critical". It's closer to what the MythTV folks call the WAF
> (Wife Approval Factor :-)

In my home, Myth is definitely mission critical :)

> As always, in the end, we make a tradeoff between security concerns,
> reliability concerns, having the latest and greatest features, and ease
> of long-term maintenance. What that means exactly is determined on a
> case-by-case basis. In my case, I'll run the old system until I can find
> a way to convert to the versions packaged with Fedora 11 relatively
> quickly, to minimize my window of vulnerability and down time. Then for
> the longer term I'll work on the AEL conversion. I was just hoping to
> find something that would aid in that effort, but so far all I have seen
> are suggestions on how to avoid having to do it at all.

Not at all. I'm just saying if the available packages are "doing it" for
you, compiling the source is pretty trivial. If the packages "catch up"
with F11 you can always install them then.

--
Thanks in advance,