[asterisk-users] * 1.4 -> 1.6, zaptel -> dahdi

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Aug 19 13:31:09 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 09:56 -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
> This has got to be an FAQ, so if someone can point me to where it is
> answered, I would be greatly appreciated. The documentation for all this
> stuff is scattered and (to me at least) either very sketchy or hard to
> find.

Well at least I'm not crazy, since so far all the suggestions have been
ways to avoid doing the conversion at all (I may consider some of them).
Unfortunately converting to a whole different OS is likely to be just as
big a task (if not bigger) than converting * from 1.4 to 1.6,
considering that there is more than asterisk involved. I suspect the
zaptel/dahdi conversion won't be that hard. It's the extensions.conf ->
extensions.ael conversion that's biting me right now. I confess though
that I am surprised to find that I had to install the dahdi-kmdl package
from ATrpms given that Fedora does package dahdi-tools and dahdi-linux.

If at all possible I want to use the standard packaged version as it
makes security updates much easier. If I wanted to maintain all my apps
from source, I'd use Gentoo which is at least designed to be installed
that way :-)  Or more likely I'd avoid the OS upgrade at all and compile
the apps I use from source on the old OS in order to be able to apply
security fixes. But I'm much more willing to compile things from source
on my desktop than on my main home server; I need easily maintainable
apps there. That, after all, is the whole reason for upgrading the OS in
the first place.

I heard one person say that extensions.conf should still work in 1.6; is
that true? Mine seems to be completely ignored. Is there some other
config file that I need to edit to make this happen? If I could do that,
I could get the OS switch done and it would buy me some time to do the
AEL conversion.

--Greg