[asterisk-users] * 1.4 -> 1.6, zaptel -> dahdi

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Aug 19 10:56:38 CDT 2009

This has got to be an FAQ, so if someone can point me to where it is
answered, I would be greatly appreciated. The documentation for all this
stuff is scattered and (to me at least) either very sketchy or hard to
find.

What I want is a guide for how to convert from 1.4 with zaptel to 1.6
with dahdi. All the recent kernel vulnerabilities are forcing me to
upgrade my home server from no-longer-supported Fedora 8 up to Fedora
11, and that means upgrading asterisk as well.

It appears that, although the dahdi-tools package is part of Fedora 11,
the kernel modules are not. I couldn't get the dahdi tools such as
dahdi_scan to work at all until I installed the dahdi-kmdl package from
ATrpms. Does that match others' experiences?

This also means a translation from extensions.conf to AEL. I tried using
the tool whose name I forget that produces an ael file from an old
extensions.conf file, but I get tons of errors when I try to load the
resulting file. In particular, there are comments about Macros but no
detailed documentation as to how to translate something like "GoTo(s|
3)". I try using "goto s|3" and get an error that there is no label "s"
in the current context. Is there something else I should be doing to
accomplish this, or do I really have to create an explicit label for
every extension that is the current target of a Goto() call?

Thanks for any advice. A line-by-line translation of my dialplan looks
to be a very tedious and time-consuming task with a steep learning
curve. There has got to be a better way, I know I'm not the first to
have to do this.

--Greg