[asterisk-users] Moderator access to meetme allowed despite pin

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Tue Aug 18 18:43:14 CDT 2009

Hello, all.  I've solved my own problem but will post it here in case
someone else has the same misunderstanding in the future.

We thought we had set up our meetme so that regular users entered the
conference without a pin but could not speak to each other until the
moderator arrived.  We enforced pin entry on the moderator . . . or at
least so we thought.  If the moderator waited long enough without
entering a pin, they were entered into the conference.

The problem was we had misinterpreted the meetme.conf and
extensions.conf pin parameters and had understood them essentially
backwards.

We setup our meetme.conf file something like this:

conf => 100,,321
conf => 102,,432

erroneously assuming this meant regular users did not require a pin but
moderators did.

Our meetme application was called via macros as follows:

[macro-confmod] ;conference moderator
exten => s,1,Macro(conference,${MACRO_EXTEN})
exten => s,n,MeetMe(${ARG1},cMaAsx)

[macro-confpart] ;conference participant
exten => s,1,Macro(conference,${MACRO_EXTEN})
exten => s,n,MeetMe(${ARG1},cIMswx)

and our extensions like this:

exten => 6151,1,Macro(confpart,100)
exten => 5151,1,Macro(confmod,100)

We did not enter a pin in the extension because we thought that meant a
pin was required.

Now we realize what this really said was, "If the moderator enters the
moderator pin, make them the moderator, otherwise, let them and everyone
else in without a pin.

So our first misunderstanding was that an empty user pin and populated
moderator pin meant only the moderator was required to enter a pin.  The
second was that placing the pin in the extension meant we were requiring
the pin when, actually it is doing the opposite - it is providing the
pin so the user does not have to.

To do what we originally intended, our meetme.conf should have required
a pin for everyone with a different pin for the moderator like so:

conf => 100,123,321
conf => 102,234,432

We then should have populated the pin in the extension for the regular
users but not for the moderator like so:

[macro-confmod] ;conference moderator
exten => s,1,Macro(conference,${MACRO_EXTEN})
exten => s,n,MeetMe(${ARG1},cMaAsx)

[macro-confpart] ;conference participant
exten => s,1,Macro(conference,${MACRO_EXTEN})
exten => s,n,MeetMe(${ARG1},cIMswx, ${ARG2})

exten => 6151,1,Macro(confpart,100,123)
exten => 5151,1,Macro(confmod,100)

Hope this keeps someone else from accidentally opening their
conferencing system to the world! - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com