[asterisk-users] Platform decision ...

Mauro Sergio Ferreira Brasil mauro.brasil at tqi.com.br
Tue Aug 18 15:54:19 CDT 2009

Man... I need to be very frank with you... I don't know any more.

We started analysing what can be done to get Asterisk working on a way
we want it to work, that is: totally dynamic dial plan generated by an
external server (responsible for business logic and legacy interface),
and retrieved through an new configuration driver (something like
"res_config_legacy.c").
This point is clear to us now that is reachable without much effort.

We considered, at first, a infraestructure with a
redirect-server/load-balancer (played by OpenSIPS) directing the voip
calls to final Asterisk instances.
The problem is that after getting the first issue solved (about the
driver acessing the legacy interface explained above), I started a
research about Asterisk scalability and I didn't liked of what I found.

Consulting some friends of mine that work with Voip (but that
unfortunatelly don't need the PBX features) the impression was worst.
One of them told me that on the only part of their infraestructure where
Asterisk is used they want at all costs to remove it.

Making things short, I need to have sure that Asterisk can handle a
considerable number of concurrent calls, or I need an indication of
another PBX that is scalable to be placed on Asterisk's place and that
can be changed to retrieve the dialplan (or what it uses on call
routing) from another server.

Does anyone have any idea ?

Thanks and best regards,
Mauro.

--
__At.,
   _

*Technology and Quality on Information*
Mauro Sérgio Ferreira Brasil
Coordenador de Projetos e Analista de Sistemas
+ mauro.brasil at tqi.com.br <mailto:@tqi.com.br>
: www.tqi.com.br <http://www.tqi.com.br>
( + 55 (34)3291-1700
( + 55 (34)9971-2572