[asterisk-users] DAHDI - better to have card?

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 11:21:03 CDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Boehm, Matthew<mboehm at theplanet.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have at my disposal, 2, TE410P cards. I have setup an asterisk box that
> will function ONLY to handle meetme conferences over SIP. No PRI lines to be
> plugged into the 410 card.
>
> MeetMe requires an external timing source. Right now, using the dummy
> driver. Is it possible to use the card solely for timing purposes?

Yes, it is possible to use the card solely for timing.

>Any  benefit to doing so?

I happen to think so, but I haven't been practicing what I preach
because the gear I chose for my meetme boxes don't have a free PCI{,e}
slot. If you trust the output of dahdi_test, you get better results
with a real card than with dahdi_dummy.

>Or should I just sell the cards?

I'm personally hanging onto mine, and planning to redo my setup with
systems that have an open slot for the cards when I get some open
schedule later. But even after the changes I'll have spare cards. I'm
going to keep them around for a lab environment and suggest you do the
same.