[asterisk-users] Zaptel -> DAHDI: now echo

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Aug 18 08:25:42 CDT 2009

Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>>   Note: It is *mandatory* to configure an echo canceler for the
>>>   system's channels using dahdi_cfg unless the interface cards in use
>>>   have echo canceler modules available and enabled. There is *no*
>>>   default software echo canceler with DAHDI.
>>>

> Why is this by the way?  Is there some advantage to NOT having one of
> these modules loaded by default?

Well, when we made them modular so that people could pick and choose at
run-time instead of compile-time, it seemed like forcing a default on
everyone was the wrong thing to do... especially for people who don't
need them at all because they have hardware echocancelers.

In hindsight, this has probably been the biggest issue with people
upgrading from Zaptel to DAHDI, and we should have just had some sort of
 default. We've had some discussions about making dahdi_cfg supply a
default echo canceler for all channels that don't have one specified,
but then that of course will require the ability to tell it "no, I don't
want one".

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com