[asterisk-users] Cisco 79XX, SIP and Asterisk

Jonathan Thurman jthurman42 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 16:52:41 CDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com> wrote:

> 2009/8/12 Jonathan Thurman <jthurman42 at gmail.com>
>
>> I am also using them quite extensively, but with English menus.  I know
>> that the Locale files from Cisco do not come with the firmware, but usually
>> as an update for CallManager.  There are a ton of languages that work with
>> the latest firmware, but I have no idea how to actually get the files from
>> Cisco.  You may be able to purchase SmartNet on the phones and get it that
>> way, or at least they would listen when you called them...
>>
>> -Jonathan
>>

> Using english menus is a show-stopper in non-english-speaking countries ...

Very true

> From memory, situation was the way you described : you need a call manager
> (or Asterisk with SCCP ?) to get native menus.
> It seems this is still the case ...

You need the locale files.  The phones will pull them off of any tftp
server.

If you have access to the Cisco software site, you can download the locale
installer for a lot of languages.  You then just have to extract the files
and get them onto your TFTP server and configure the phone to pull the
correct locale.  This will most likely require either SmartNet on the phones
or CallManager.

-Jonathan