[asterisk-users] Twitter is Suing me!!!

D. Dante Lorenso dante at larkspark.com
Wed Aug 12 11:17:49 CDT 2009

Dean Collins wrote:
> I received this email 30 minutes ago stating that Twitter is suing me??
> Basically they feel that my application - www.MyTwitterButler.com
> <http://www.mytwitterbutler.com/> does the following.
> *1/ That anyone using the API to auto follow people are breaching the TOS??*
> *2/ That no one can use the word “Twitter” in their domain*
> *3/ That somehow people might be confused my application is related to
> twitter even though every page is labeled //*

I'd have to side with Twitter on this one:

1) From your domain name, I don't know that you aren't part of Twitter(tm)

2) Your service seems to be trying to circumvent what they are doing
rather than just adding value to it.

3) You are using a Twitter-like bird in your logo at the top.

I bet if you changed your domain name, changed your service name,
created a different logo, and stopped infringing on their trade mark
you'd be fine.

I'll bet the Twitter TOS grants you rights to their API as long as you
are only adding value and not trying to lead customers away from
Twitter.  They have the right to put something like that in there TOS.

Then again, your app seems to heavily hit the Twitter API with 20,000
API calls an hour?  I bet you don't pay monies to Twitter for all that
system usage yet you are making money from sales of your app at $10 per
license.  If you sell 10,000 copies of your code, Twitter has to suffer
through 20 million API calls per hour (480 BILLION calls per day) and
you get to have $100,000.  That doesn't seem fair does it?

-- Dante

D. Dante Lorenso
dante at larkspark.com
972-333-4139