[asterisk-users] func_odbc insert with mssql

Myles Wakeham myles at techsol.org
Tue Aug 11 15:10:27 CDT 2009

Tilghman Lesher wrote:

 >You've just stated the primary reason for folks to use ODBC.  Perhaps
 >you've
 >written off the technology too soon and for the wrong reasons.

You maybe right as I've been a SQL developer for about 25 years
(actually before ODBC was ever around) and I might be tainted by
spending countless hours of pain & suffering dealing with it on a
variety of non-Microsoft platforms.  Off memory, and this is from a LONG
time ago, I believe ODBC was originally created by Microsoft & SIMBRA
back in the early 1990s, hence my comments about it not being a 'Linux
type' technology.  In its early incarnation it had a reputation of being
bloated and lacked in performance.  I'm sure that 15 yrs or so later
they must have gotten that under control.

My biggest negative to ODBC is that the calls that the client
application has to make to the database are hard to visualize and debug,
particularly if you are crafting a SQL QUERY statement that goes on for
pages.  Its for this reason that I'd want to have something where I
could get more visibility to the DML.  It sounds like this might be the
exact problem that the original poster was having - that their DML had
errors in it, and if it could be visualized before it hit the database
for debugging, it might have been quicker to debug.

Myles

--
Myles Wakeham