[asterisk-users] Anyone had any luck with SIP clients on theiPhoneplatform?

randulo spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 10:28:27 CDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Alex Balashov<abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:
> Word of advice:  When you try SIP clients, focus on how the far-end is
> hearing you, not whether you can hear them.  In my experience, that's
> where 90% of the deal-breakers lie with the iPhone.

Absolutely right! When testing call quality I always used to call my
mother and after several minutes ask her how well she heard me, etc.
We joked about how she was my VoIP tester. Now that she's been gone a
few years, my brother, the "user from Hell" can't fill those shoes.
Regardless of call setup or source:

- he will ALWAYS find something to complain about and often it's an
issue with his phone
- his phones all sound like crap
- he lets the batteries on his cordless run way down causing beeping
and clicking
- he is unable to describe in any useful way what the problem is, he
just says it "stinks"

I miss being able to call my mom on four different providers and ask
her which was better :)

Back to your comment Alex, I agree whole heartedly which is why being
able to record (like the Skype test call) is better than an echo test
for checking clients out locally. Then you can test by leaving
messages on a PSTN connected phone of know quality. Then and only
then, call people who you know have an ear for sound quality of a call
and are in a location quiet enough to judge.

I was about to post on this thread that I have contacted the makers of
iSip and they got back to me, we're working on a fix. We because I did
not realize something specific to the iPhone platform. Because of the
App store, an new test verison of an app can not be installed because
it is not approved by Apple. Developers can make ad hoc versions for a
single phone, though and the need the UDID to do this. I never heard
of UDID before, but it's like a MAC.

I hope the iSip people will be able to fix the issue because I like
the client a lot.

/r