[asterisk-users] Difference between 1.4.x and 1.6.x?

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 21:55:24 CDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Michael
Cunningham<michael.cunningham.usa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Forgive me if this is a FAQ question but I didnt see anything on the website
> of forum spelling out the difference between 1.4.x and 1.6.x
>
> Obviously 1.6.x is in development. Is it stable enough for production use?
> What are the new features being implemented in 1.6.x?

This is asked so much that you can actually search the list for
"production use" or "stable".

The answer isn't always answerable by anybody but you. The fact that
you are trusted to make this decision for yourself is part of the
asterisk philosophy. It depends on your time, aversion to risk, and
willingness to determine whether a given version of asterisk meets
your needs.  You could argue that 'stable enough for production use'
is an oxymoron. People either want the code to never change, so they
never get features, or they want the latest and greatest, or they want
the code to not break their outside enhancements, and of course it
should be free, and vetted by somebody else first. Pick a few, and
you'll be happy with the results.

I'm personally running 1.6.2.0-beta4 in 'production' because certain
features I want are more 'reliable' there. Other times I've pulled
patches out of SVN, or reported my results on the issue tracker, again
for the same reason.