[asterisk-users] Best ISDN BRI solutions?

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 15:10:53 CDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Benny Amorsen
<benny+usenet at amorsen.dk<benny%2Busenet at amorsen.dk>
> wrote:

> Moises Silva <moises.silva at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Just for the record, Sangoma Media Gateway does exactly that, leave all
> > your PSTN interfaces (BRI, SS7, PRI) in another box and communicates with
> > Asterisk through the Woomera protocol.
>
> What is the advantage of doing Woomera rather than a complete SIP
> gateway? Is Woomera hardware that much cheaper than e.g. SIP-to-PRI? Is
> it easier to configure?

It can be argued that is easier to configure, but I'll leave that to
sysadmins to decide. The point is Woomera is not meant to replace SIP or
compete with it, is just an easy way to distribute your TDM interfaces and
not have them in the same server where you do media processing, IVR, routing
etc.

This should leave the picture more clear
http://wiki.sangoma.com/wanpipe-linux-asterisk-ss7

So typically you will send all your TDM calls to 1 or more Asterisk servers
running chan_woomera and any other service you want to provide in there
(including SIP outbound calls).

--
Moises Silva
Software Developer