[asterisk-users] cheap CHEAP ata

ContactTel Business lists at contacttel.com
Sat Apr 25 16:41:23 CDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Andrew
Joakimsen
Sent: April-25-09 12:28 AM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] cheap CHEAP ata

Google shows one result for low cost ATA:
http://www.trixbox.org/forums/vendor-forums-non-certified/linksys-cisco/link
sys-pap2-and-rt31p2-low-price

Buyer beware! Those are probably counterfeit!

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 19:15, Wilton Helm <whelm at compuserve.com> wrote:
>>Have you checked ebay?
>
> Just beware that there are a lot of ATAs on Ebay that are locked to Vonage
> or similar providers.  While they are not impossible to unlock, it
requires
> considerable time and good Linux networking experience, as the process
> generally involves creating an isolated world (with its own DNS, etc) that
> mimics the provider and then "updates" configuration files.
>
> If you want a lot of cheap ATAs it might be worth your while to set up
such
> a system, as most of the work would be for the first one and the rest
would
> be relatively easy.
>
> On the other hand, if you weren't anticipating this problem, you might get
> stuck with a bunch of useless paperweights, which wouldn't make the total
> cost of the solution very cheap.
>
> Wilton

Also some by providers can't be upgraded

As for the cheap imitations.. reminds me of the CLONE wars, where we would
despise people not having IBM computers in the 90's

They are all clones, of a blueprint.. the problem with china's main
production stream , is that it's build with sub standard circuitry that
wouldn’t even pass the simple laws of physics ;) built to self destroy and
force the Westerners to buy more,

Remember Granma's toaster ? 28 pounder metal with a lever that needed 2
hands to pull down ? it's still working and is a GE, now go take a look at
your made in china plastic pos toaster that you change 4 times a year.

Same goes with cars, or anything made over there., Lifespan of max 1/25th of
a humans life span, so any product needs to be replaced 20 to 25 times in a
life span.. 5$ toaster * 25 = 125$, while the old ones @ 20$ can live for 20
years..