[asterisk-users] Looking for good IAX ATA

Yahya Mohammad mfyahya at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 14:29:09 CDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 09:20:05PM +0000, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:

> I have been wondering - if you ran your SIP traffic over VPN tunnels, what
> would the state think of that?  They obviously won't be able to inspect
> the data to see what is flowing through the tunnel.  Do thye also restrict
> encrypted traffic?

They can't see the data due to encryption, but they can observe packets'
traffic patterns, and match them to typical usage by various protocols.
Bitek ( http://www.bitek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74&Itemid=60 )
is one company that caters to state ISPs and I've heard their technology
can guess if voip is being used inside encrypted tunnels.

VPNs are not allowed on residential connections, but it's not really
enforced, and it does work well with voip. In any case, if an ISP can
block 95% of VoIP usage, it's good enough for them. It's probably not
worth the effort to block the remaining 5% tech savvy people.