[asterisk-users] Record in mp3

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Fri Apr 24 18:35:16 CDT 2009

> Secondarily, MPEG audio compression takes a lot of CPU.  Until the last few
> years, desktop CPUs weren't even capable of doing realtime MPEG audio
> compression, which is necessary if you're going to have the recording ready
> by the time the audio input is terminated.  Above and beyond that, even modern
> CPUs are limited in how many concurrent streams can be MPEG-compressed,
> which may cause problems if you're encoding multiple channels to MP3 at the
> same time.

Well, actually it's lot of CPU for encoding 44kHz stream. I wonder how
it would scale to encode 8kHz.. We currently do a daily routine to
compress all ulaw files to mp3 at night time, and it takes ~6 hours of
processing on 1 CPU (no parallel processing).

Regarding legal reasons, can't it be linked with lame within asterisk-addons?

Regards,
Atis