[asterisk-users] AMD Not Working

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Apr 23 18:28:35 CDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Matt Riddell <lists at venturevoip.com> wrote:

> On 24/04/2009 3:00 a.m., Sam Hawkin wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am trying to use the AMD (Answering Machine Detect).
> > But it is not sending the AMD_Status as either
> > the Human or Machine, it hangs up in middle.
>
> I'd say that the remote end of the call is hanging up - do a SIP debug
> so you can see what happens - the best way to test things like this is
> by calling your own number - that way you can guarantee it doesn't hang
> up :)
>
> --
> Kind Regards,
>
> Matt Riddell
> Director
>
> http://www.venturevoip.com (Great new VoIP end to end solution)
> http://www.venturevoip.com/news.php (Daily Asterisk News - html)
> http://www.venturevoip.com/newrssfeed.php (Daily Asterisk News - rss)

You can also run Orecx on the localhost (for very small production or lab
systems) or on a different host via mirrored switch port and then listen to
all calls (SIP and other VoIP), or RTPTap via Sangoma cards).

I have done this many times to catch intermittent problems that are
continuously reported by users but cannot be readily reproduced.  I just ask
that the user log the time of the call and what they experienced, then I can
listen to the recording, ascertain all the critical info that users leave
off trouble reports, and figure out the commonalities.  Obviously, all due
notice/permission and/or legal disclosures should be made/given before
recording anything.

It is great for troubleshooting (and yes, calls do get crossed and all kinds
of other strangness in Asterisk, you know, what you write off as user error
:-)

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro