[asterisk-users] Asterisk routine maintenance activities

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Thu Apr 23 18:25:10 CDT 2009

Darrick Hartman wrote:
> Rob Hillis wrote:
>
>> Daily?  No.  However, after implementing a weekly restart of Asterisk,
>> I've found the instance of lockups and CPU utilisation spikes have
>> decreased significantly.
>>

> Unless you're using some unstable modules, there really should be no
> need to restart Asterisk.  Is there a certain activity that is causing
> these lockups?  I have low power systems which haven't had Asterisk
> restarted in months many times.  Granted, these are mostly low call
> volume systems, but unless there is a memory leak, you should not needed
> to restart the Asterisk process.  (my guess is one of the modules you
> are using has some sort of problem).

This particular system isn't low power - it's a full blown server.
Since I don't work at this place, I don't know what people are doing at
the time the system freezes up.

It's been some time since I updated Asterisk at this site, so they're
probably running version 1.4.17 - 1.4.20 there. (it's a voluntary
organisation where I've since become sick of (a) the politics and (b)
their expectation that I drop what I'm doing to help them, regardless of
whether I'm at work or not)

If I were to do things again, I'd be running Astlinux on a net 5501 with
an integrated hard drive (for voicemail/IVR and so on)  Only time I've
ever had to reboot my Astlinux box at home (on an ALIX-3) is when it's
time to upgrade Astlinux.