[asterisk-users] Asterisk routine maintenance activities

Darrick Hartman dhartman at djhsolutions.com
Thu Apr 23 13:24:19 CDT 2009

Rob Hillis wrote:
> Kurian Thayil wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 15:24 +1000, Lee, John (Sydney) wrote:
>>
>>> Daily Asterisk restart
>>>
>> Do you think its mandatory in production env?????
>
> Daily?  No.  However, after implementing a weekly restart of Asterisk,
> I've found the instance of lockups and CPU utilisation spikes have
> decreased significantly.

Unless you're using some unstable modules, there really should be no
need to restart Asterisk.  Is there a certain activity that is causing
these lockups?  I have low power systems which haven't had Asterisk
restarted in months many times.  Granted, these are mostly low call
volume systems, but unless there is a memory leak, you should not needed
to restart the Asterisk process.  (my guess is one of the modules you
are using has some sort of problem).

Darrick