[asterisk-users] Do I need G729 codec for wholesale ?

Dusan Djordjevic dj.dule at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 09:20:48 CDT 2009

Hi all,

I am new to Asterisk, so I have few questions. I intent to run it wholesale traffic termination. Apart Asterisk, I want to use Asterist2Billing for billing. Here are my questions:

-Since my main area of work will be wholesale, is Asterisk2Billing good solution or you have better suggestion ? I prefer open source solutions, but commercial are OK also.
-I will need to use H323 and G729 mainly. Is H323 supported properly ?
-Since I will doing wholesale, traffic will just pass through server, no encoding/decoding on it. Would I need g729 licenses in this case ? If not, please point me to some resource how to set it up properly.
-At the end, do you have any other advice on how to do what I want to do. Maybe pointer to some good tutorial or something like that.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Dusan