[asterisk-users] Asterisk Capacity

Geraint Lee geraint at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 06:12:35 CDT 2009

Hi Guys,

I have a strong feeling the loads on my servers will be shooting up soon...
anyone got any idea how many calls i can expect to put through a
DL360:
Dual Quad Core 2.33ghz
4gb RAM with 1gb allocated for a ramdisk (call recordings)

This server is recording calls (mixmonitor), codec is gsm (no conversion).

I know there's a lot of other things to consider like AGI scripts and such
things but i'd like to know what the capacity should be simply for sip
registrations (which are in conf files) and calls (usually between 20 and 60
concurrent calls at present (around 12,000 calls a day - so relatively low
volume). No voicemail or meetme.

I expect to be pushing 300-400 concurrent calls within the next 2 months.

Next question... do i need to be looking at openSIPS or something similar to
handle registrations?

Any hints, tips and things to watch out for with a larger volume would be
great.

Cheers

Geraint