[asterisk-users] DTMF

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Tue Apr 21 10:34:42 CDT 2009

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:
>
>>> I went ahead and switched to SIP just for grins, and made sure
>>> "dtmfmode=rfc2833" is in the peer config on both sides and in the entry
>>> for the phone.  So now it is:
>>>
>>> polycom501---SIP/ulaw--->ast1---SIP/g729--->ast2---IAX/ulaw--->ITSP
>
> A bit more information.  ast1 is running 1.4.23.1 and I noticed a debug line
> in rtp.c:
>
>        if (rtpdebug || option_debug > 2)
>                ast_log(LOG_DEBUG, "- RTP 2833 Event: %08x (len = %d)\n",
> event, len);
>
> So I set debug to 10 and caught this line:
>
> [Apr 17 17:28:02] DEBUG[27264] rtp.c: - RTP 2833 Event: 00000002 (len = 4)
>
> So I guess that proves that from the phone to ast1 RFC2833 is in effect (I
> did actually press the digit '2', which I assume is the event code above?).
>
> I tried to do the same on ast2, which is running 1.4.22.1, and with debug set
> to 10 I did *not* get this message, which makes me think that RCF2833 is NOT
> in effect for the trunk between ast1 and ast2.  Is that reasonable?

The main problem turned out to be at my ITSP, and is now resolved.  The
question remains for me, though, how to interpret the debug lines I was
able to catch (or not) above.

How do you really know if RFC2833 signalling is being received?  I caught
the debug message on ast1 but not on ast2.  I am using ulaw between ast2
and the ITSP, and I am now wondering if the DTMF is being sent inband on
that last leg since I could not catch the debug messages on ast2.  Perhaps
what they did to fix on their end is simply remove compression between
themselves and the PSTN.

I would really like a concrete method of verifying that DTMF signalling is
being sent out of band on my outbound IAX link.  Any ideas?

Thanks,