[asterisk-users] T38modem in loopback mode does not work on asterisk 1.4.20.1

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Fri Apr 17 07:54:07 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Florian Hackenberger
<f.hackenberger at chello.at> wrote:
> On Friday 17 April 2009, Michael wrote:
>> Trying to link Hylafax < - > Callweaver or Asterisk is unfortunately
>> a waste of time. You need to use the built in fax support and write
>> from scratch the necessary scripts and dial plan to deal with faxes.
>
> Ok, that's fine.

Well, not really a waste of time. As I mentioned - Hylafax has many
desktop clients, it's better to just write few scripts than to design
desktop software for your own setup. If You have a need of sending
faxes, You'll probably need a desktop client too.

>> I have successfully got a T.38 set up working, but it wasn't devoid
>> of a lot of bother along the way.
>
> And how do the T.38 calls get to callweaver? Directly from the SIP
> provider, or does asterisk forward them to callweaver? Which version of
> asterisk (on which distribution) and which version of callweaver are
> you using?

Ok, our setup is the following:

Inbound call arrives from SIP provider to Asterisk 1.4.19
Asterisk Dials Callweaver (1.2.0 as I recall) on localhost
CallWeaver uses RxFax, which causes call to be switched to T.38,
Asterisk does T.38 passtrough.
CallWeaver executes shell script at the end which emails the .tiff
file to recipient.

User prints document to Hylafax Desktop client.
Document is sent to Hylafax server
Hylafax executes shell script specified in SendFaxCmd.
Shell script creates callfile for CallWeaver
CallWeaver dials destination number to Asterisk
Asterisk forwards call to SIP operator
CallWeaver uses TxFax to send .tiff file already generated by CallWeaver.

As we are currently on stable 1.4 version, we chose to use CallWeaver
for this, but we plan to simplify whole setup when migrating to
Asterisk 1.6, which would take over CallWeaver functions.

Regards,
Atis

--
Atis Lezdins,