[asterisk-users] 1. SOHO environment : how many RTP-ports ?? // 2. routing between 2 interfaces

jonas kellens jonas.kellens at telenet.be
Wed Apr 15 13:41:16 CDT 2009

For an Asterisk-environment with no more then 10 SIP-phones, I would
open 10 x 4 = 40 UDP ports for RTP/RTCP-traffic ( 4/call). Can you
confirm ?!
rtp.conf :
rtpstart=30500
rtpend=30550

Ok, there's 50 here... a round number right ?!

All SIP-communication stays on the LAN. There's a NIC connected on the
switch.
Another NIC (WAN) is used for IAX-traffic to a VoIP-provider.

So, I do not really need to worry about security flaws ?! Except if
hackers are able to hack another server on the network, than these ports
are open for them...

On the firewall there's just port 4569 (IAX) that's forwarded to the
WAN-interface of the Asterisk-server.

A little second question : by defining a default route via the
WAN-interface, traffic that needs to leave the network will be routed to
the VoIP-provider ?

So all internal communication goes via the LAN-interface. All the
traffic that needs to go to the default gateway is defined in my route
table to leave the Asterisk-server via the WAN-interface.

There are no more options I need to configure in Asterisk ???

Asterisk works on OSI-level 'application', so traffic is not routed by
Asterisk. When Asterisk needs to send SIP-messages or RTP-traffic to an
IP-adres that is not on the local LAN, OSI-layer 3 (IP network) will
route it via the correct interface.
Asterisk will translate from SIP to IAX, but routing between interface 1
(LAN) and interface 2 (WAN) will happen much lower on the OSI-model.

Am I right ? Or do I need some special settings in Asterisk (sip.conf or
iax.conf) to be able to route between internal and exteral NIC.

Thanks for the info on RTP-ports and my routing-question.

Jonas.