[asterisk-users] duration of rfc2833 generated dtmf

Brent Davidson brent at texascountrytitle.com
Tue Apr 14 10:24:11 CDT 2009

To the best of my knowledge, the only way for you to control the
duration sent to the PSTN lines is for you to be directly connected to
the lines so you can set the tone duration in zapata.conf / dahdi.conf
or to use inband signalling.

One thing you might try is researching the "SipDtmfMode" command.  It
allows you to change the DTMF mode on an active channel.  A suggestion
might be to set up the dial command with the M() option that point to a
Macro that changes the DTMF to INBAND once you are connected to the
problem number.  At least in theory, if your provider is expecting
RFC2833 and they get inband, they should just ignore the inband
signaling and pass it on as part of the audio stream.  The only problem
is that this may only work if you use uLaw or aLaw for your codec and I
don't know exactly how to set the tone duration without having a
zapata.conf or dahdi.conf entry.  Even with one of those files, I don't
know how Asterisk chooses to do the rfc2833 to inband translation or
where it pulls the toneduration setting from if no PSTN interface is
involved in the call.

-Brent