[asterisk-users] T38modem in loopback mode does not work on asterisk 1.4.20.1

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 09:24:12 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Florian Hackenberger
<f.hackenberger at chello.at> wrote:
> With asterisk 1.6, is it possible to use hylafax, or would asterisk
> terminate the fax calls itself?

With app_fax integrated into asterisk-1.6, you have an 'infinite'
modem pool that you control through the dial-plan. Using dialplan
variables you provide a filename to save the fax to, and you can use
other dialplan directives to describe what you want to do with the
file once you have it. One call gets one 'modem' that is dynamically
allocated, then destroyed when the call completes. This dialplan
auto-scales to the load capacity of your system / circuits.

With app_fax there's no need to pre-allocate and control the 'modem'
with another piece of software. It may be possible to use hylafax, but
I don't know how or why you would. I thought the whole point of
hylafax is to control a "modem", and Hylafax would tie you to a
specific number of modems you would have to leave idling. My hunch is
you can't do this with app_fax and 1.6, and would instead have to use
one of those plug-ins you used to have to use with 1.4. Unless of
course I'm misunderstanding something fundamental to hylafax.