[asterisk-users] .GSM -> .WAV (or ,MP3) Conversion

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 07:30:43 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Tim Dobson <lists at tdobson.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to convert some call recordings from asterisk we have in .gsm

Why not use sox for this purpose?

sox mygsm.gsm -r 8000 -c 1 mywave.wav resample -ql

Once it's a wav you can mp3 it with lame or your preferred encoder,
but encoding and playing mp3s takes more cpu than just playing it in
gsm, or stopping after sox and playing as a wav.

> Has anyone got any suggestions based on previous experience?

My previous experience is to just use sox. It works, it's free, it
does what it says it does. What makes ffmpeg so special?