[asterisk-users] Asterisk is not designed for University with large user base?

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at lusan.id.au
Sun Apr 12 01:48:20 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 08:26 +0200, zoachien at securax.org wrote:
> Vincent Li wrote:
> > I just had a meeting about a pilot project going on in our University, The
> > project manager has done some research in the past year and concluded that
> > Asterisk can not scale well to large user base like 10,000 users, thus
> > Asterisk is not fit for large University environment.
> >

> Asterisk can scale to 10.000 users. Its probably about the maximum you
> could do on a quite powerful server if you don't need TDM hardware, but
> better would be to use a cluster, the database used would then
> eventually become the limit to the scaling.
> I have no experience with SipX so i can't say if it will scale better
> without clustering.

My initial reaction was similar, my thought would be that it would come
down to the architecture that was chosen. I would not expect a single
server implementation for either that many users or for a university
(not that I think a single server properly built and configured couldn't
handle it). I would think that someone either didn't do their research
or was biased before the decision was made ... this is normal in any
situation, I know I am biased to rolling a certain type of solution and
have had issues with other people more inclined to take another view on
things.

--
Nikolai Lusan <nikolai at lusan.id.au>