[asterisk-users] Can Asterisk bridge between a SIP client and a Cisco Call Manager server?

Shocky shocky1 at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 10 01:06:50 CDT 2009

Hi,

This is probably outside what Asterisk is intended for, but I'm hoping it can
help.

I need to make and receive calls through a Cisco Call Manager server that I
have no control over. I have to use a Cisco soft phone (Cisco IP
Communicator), which only runs on Windows. But I'm on Linux. CCM is
apparently capable of supporting SIP and H.323 interfaces, but they won't
provide this option for me. Right now I'm using a VMWare XP guest to run the
soft phone, but this is painful (especially with some VPN complications
thrown in).

I've read that Asterisk supports SCCP, at least somewhat. I'm wondering if I
could set up Asterisk on my desktop machine to route calls between a SIP
client such as Kphone or Ekiga and the CCM server. Would this be possible?

I heard that one of the problems in interfacing with CCM over SCCP is the use
of proprietary codecs. Would this be a problem in my case?

If there's a chance it can be made to work, I'll give it a try. If I'd be
wasting my time, please let me know.

Thanks,

Shocky
--