[asterisk-users] Best Practice Advice?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Apr 8 15:33:50 CDT 2009

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Philipp Kempgen wrote:

> Wilton Helm schrieb:
>>> Also, FC10 is out. You should probably grab that first.
>
> And by the way: Debian 5 "Lenny" is out. http://www.debian.org/

I've been a Debian user since more or less the begining (of Debian that
is - there was sls before that!)

I tend to use it as a base for the basic OS and compiler and compile most
other big userland stuff though. So I compile up asterisk from scratch
(along with the kernel, apache, php, mysql, etc.) but leave the basic
system stuff alone. (This stems from a time when I was maintaning many
different *nixes, but wanted a common set of tools over them)

I've never really had issues compiling up asterisk, etc. for all the
versions of Debian I've used with it - Sarge, Etch and now Lenny all work
very well.

And Debian has been stable if nothing else. I have a Debian box with over
3 years of uptime (it's not running asterisk though) and some of my PBXs
which run my own install based on Debian have 6 months uptime....

So if you want a stable platform, get Debian!

Gordon