[asterisk-users] dahdi_dummy: Unable to register DAHDI rtc driver

Shaun Ruffell sruffell at digium.com
Wed Apr 8 09:23:56 CDT 2009

David Backeberg wrote:
> Hello there:
>
> I think I have a silly kernel configuration problem. I'm running:
> * vanilla 2.6.27.10 kernel built from source
> * dahdi-2.1.0.4 built from source
>
> So far so good,
> dahdi module loads just fine:
> dahdi: Telephony Interface Registered on major 196
> dahdi: Version: 2.1.0.4
>
> when I try to:
> hal04 dahdi # modprobe dahdi_dummy
> FATAL: Error inserting dahdi_dummy
> (/lib/modules/2.6.27.10/dahdi/dahdi_dummy.ko): Input/output error
>
> kernel messages gives me:
> dahdi_dummy: Unable to register DAHDI rtc driver
>
> I'm probably doing something silly here.
>
> Then I was curious, so I backed up to a 2.6.25.9 kernel I already had,
> and dahdi_dummy loaded just fine:
> dahdi_dummy: RTC rate is 1024
>
> Does anybody know whether:
> * something changed in mainline kernel that breaks dahdi
> * there was a new kernel parameter that I should have set differently?

There is a kernel config parameter called CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC, that
if defined in the kernel config, will cause the behavior that you're
seeing.  I have not looked to see at which version that option came in.

However, I think support for RTC in dahdi_dummy is best dropped.  There
is a patch on mantis (http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=13930) against
dahdi_dummy that allows it to provide accurate timing with standard
kernel timers that you may want to try.

Cheers,
--
Shaun Ruffell