[asterisk-users] Hacked

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Apr 8 08:31:44 CDT 2009

On Tuesday 07 April 2009 11:28:52 Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> The recent vulnerability had nothing to do with this, but with the ability
> of an attacker to scan a SIP server for legitimate usernames and passwords.
> This, by the way, merely took advantage of the SIP protocol, as written.
> Normally, SIP allows you to differentiate between invalid usernames (404)
> and invalid passwords (403).  What we closed in the recent vulnerability
> patch was to allow administrators to send back 403, regardless of whether
> the username existed or not.

By the way, I am VASTLY oversimplifying the return codes here for the sake of
clarity.  The actual return code is based upon a number of factors, but it is
modeled to return the same responses as would a bad password with a legitimate
user account (thus making it impossible, externally, to tell the difference
between a legitimate user account and a non-existent user account).

--
Tilghman