[asterisk-users] Siemens Gigaset Phones get mute function.

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 02:05:08 CDT 2009

Hi, I know this is a little OT but there are many Asterisk users of the
excellent Siemens DECT/VOIP phones like the S685IP and 475IP and this is
probably newsworthy for them.

One of the biggest bug bears has been no mute function on the handset.

When I woke up this morning, the handset told me there was a firmware
update. I updated and then visited the web site to find out what had
been fixed (quite a lot of new features have been added):

http://gigaset.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_152411_rArNrNrNrN_variation%253A-5_pageType%253Adownloads_imagePos%253A0,00.html#content

Gigaset C470 IP / C475 IP / S675 IP / S685 IP Firmware update 04/2009

Download version: 02184

New features:

     * E-mail viewer (with C47H, S45, S67H, S68H handsets)
     * Mute function. Turn off the handset's microphone during an
external call with the left display key.
     * Send and receive SMS messages via VoIP*
     * VoIP: If the telephone cannot establish a VoIP connection, it
automatically dials via the fixed line network (auto-fallback to PSTN).
     * VoIP: Call transfer via R key
     * VoIP: An incoming call indicated in parallel at different VoIP
devices (parallel ringing) will not be stored in the "Missed calls" list
if the call was accepted at one of the devices.*
     * Online directory: display the postal codes in search results.*
     * Online directory: when starting a new search the cities used in
the last searches will be displayed.
     * Fixed line access codes can be stored in the phone.
     * Some languages will be loaded on to the base via the internet,
depending on the language set on the handset.
     * Extended RTP port range (1024-55000)
     * DHCP Option 114 implemented.*
     * DHCP Option 120 implemented.*
     * Web Configurator: option to specify whether the "area code" is
dialled as well.
     * Web Configurator: display RTP port range
     * Web Configurator: new languages - Arabic and Russian
     * Web Configurator: enhanced PIN protection - warning if the
default pin (0000) has not been changed.

Improvements:

     * The automatic search function for firmware updates is enabled
even if the internet connection is temporarily interrupted during the night.
     * The indication "Anonymous call activated" will no longer be
displayed in the idle mode of the handset.
     * The country code is synchronised between base station and handset.