[asterisk-users] OT - SIP MESSAGE, newline chars and formatting

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Tue Apr 7 04:41:14 CDT 2009

Hi,

I'm using a SIP phone (Thomson ST2030) which is able to display text
received though Asterisk's SendText() application.

I'm using this to display from Asterisk "Forwarded to 0123456789" whenever a
user forwards his calls to another number or extension.
Test is displayed with white letters on black background.

What I can't do at the moment is erasing this "Forwarded to 0123456789" text
when user cancels previous forwarding.
If I'm sending a string full of space chars, I've got an ugly string of
black rectangles on LCD screen.

Phone vendor says it can be done sending a "single carriage return" string
to the phone (using usual SendText, I suppose) but either :
A- I can't build correctly such "single carriage return" string,
B- I can't send it (I shouldn't use SendText()),
C- or I misunderstood vendor's advice.

When setting an AEL2 variable with "Hello\rWorld"-like string value, I can
see this string passed in SIP MESSAGE like this :

Hello\rWorld

Unfortunately, this string (and other variations) are literally displayed (I
hoped to use \r to erase Hello word and see only the remaning World on my
phone screen).

Is there a way to format text embedded in SIP MESSAGES or work around this ?
Any hint or advice ?

Regards